Between 1904 and 1915 a talented young Florentine architect by the name of Giovanni Michelazzi (1879-1920) designed a number of small villas in what had become Florence's new suburbs.
Although many of his villas, which were built in the Art Nouveau style (known in Italy as Stile Liberty), have since been been demolished, a few remain. They are well worth making the effort of seeking out.
Michelazzi's masterpiece is perhaps the Villino Broggi-Caraceni (1910-11), which is situated in the Via Scipione Ammirato. The delightful decorative elements in ceramic and wrought-iron were made in the Pistoia workshop of the architect's father.
A slightly earlier work is the Villino Giulio Lampredi (1908-09) inthe Via Giano della Bella, on the south side of the city.