The two rather bizarre bronze fountains, which grace Piazza Santissima Annunziata, should, by rights, be in Livorno. The fountains (c. 1629) were commissioned from Pietro Tacca (1577-1640) and were intended as a gift for the city of Livorno, the major port in Tuscany. However, the fountains proved to be so popular in Florence that they never left the city.
Each fountain takes the form of two sea monsters, which sit back-to-back atop a basin adorned with all manner of sea life. Over time the fountains acquired the nickname the Fontane del Cacciucco after a type of fish soup, which is a speciality in Livorno.
During the second world war the fountains finally made their way to Livorno, but only in the form of copies, which were financed by the city itself!
Blogging about Florence, its art, history and culture.